Just less than three meters, just few steps and - within the Duomo di Santa Maria del Fiore, the Florence Cathedral - you will experience a voyage back in time of almost 9 hundred years more: if the foundation of the Cathedral dates to 1296, under the Cathedral lay the vestiges of an even older church: the Basilica of Santa Reparata. Santa Reparata is not - actually - the \u201cfirst\u201d Florence Cathedral: the first Basilica was San Lorenzo, consecrated in 393. There are three different legends about the origin of Santa Reparata, two related to the Christian victory over Radagaisus King of the Goths, around 405 AD. The basilica's foundation (or renovation, with the dedication to Reparata - a virgin martyr) could be the outcome of a vow, after the victory of Christians over Radagaisus King of the Goths. Another tradition connects the basilica to the burial of San Zanobi (Saint Zenobius), the first Florence Bishop. The documentary evidence about Santa Reparata is very poor: to know more, the archeology got in. We know that a choir had been added in Santa Reparata between 1050 and 1106, and a crypt had been dug for the remains of Saint Zenobius. And, believe it or not Santa Reparata remained a consecrated, \u201cworking\u201d church until 1379, which it means that for 83 years Santa Reparata was functioning while the works for Santa Maria del Fiore had already started. The main archaeological excavation lasted between 1965 and 1973 and it brought to light the remains of Santa Reparata, bringing more informations about its foundation and its rebuilding in Carolingian times. In 1974 the underground area became opened to the visitors and, in it, the archeological evidence of the Roman and proto - christian Florence as well. In October 2014 (the inauguration has been held on October 8th, Santa Reparata\u2019s feast day) the crypt\u2019s tourist itinerary has been completely renovated; you can now easily enjoy 14 Centuries of history: from the Romans remains to the proto - Christian and Romanesque period, from the mosaic floor and the bas - reliefs to the Brunelleschi's resting place, rediscovered in 1972, during the excavation campaign.