Paleochristian art, Mosaic floor
- North African masters
- 5th cent.
- Archaeological excavations of the ancient basilica of Santa Reparata
- Marbles, polychrome stones, glass paste
Surviving portions of the ancient floor of the early Christian basilica, made in mosaic. The floor was created by North African masters of late Antique culture, working in the first decades of the 5th century, and covered a total area of some 1000 square meters. The polychrome mosaic is worked in geometric figures and Christian symbols, including crosses, Solomon's knots and vases. In front of the site of the ancient altar, still preserved, is the exceptional figure of a large peacock, a Christological symbol of immortality and resurrection, associated with the name of a donor. Aligned with this is a rectangular frame containing the names of fourteen others who financed the mosaic decoration, including the measurements in feet of each donated portion.