Il Poppi, Saint Antonino Altarpiece
- Francesco Morandini, called "il Poppi"
- C. 1589
- Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore
- Specific location
- Interior, right aisle, first pillar from the entrance
- Painting, carving, gilding
- Height: 425 cm; Width: 120 cm;
- Wood, linen canvas, wood, gold, pigments
Aedicule tabernacle composed of a central painting, depicting St. Antonino Pierozzi, archbishop of Florence (1389-1459), painted by Poppi (Francesco Morandini) around1589, commissioned by the Buonomini di San Martino Brotherhood, inserted in the 19th century in a neo-Gothic frame with the addition of two paintings by Antonio Marini.
The Saint is depicted sitting on his cathedra in episcopal robes, in the act of blessing the people. Behind him, on either side of the backrest, there are two sculptures with feminine allegories of the Faith (?) and the Justice. While from above descend two angels with a cross and a scroll.
The predella depicts the Saint who founds the Buonomini di San Martino Brotherhood, while in the tympanum you can admire a tondo painted with the Madonna and Child.
The neo-Gothic frame imitates the fourteenth-century ones of other altarpieces kept in the Cathedral, and was created to place the canvas by Poppi as a pendant to the panel by Giovanni del Biondo, which depicts another patron saint bishop of the Diocese of Florence, Zenobius, and which is placed on the specular pillar to that of this tabernacle.