Giovan Francesco Rustici, Eagle of the Guild of Calimala
- Giovan Francesco Rustici
- C. 1510
- Baptistery of Saint John
- Specific location
- Baptistery of Saint John, exterior, north side, second level, centre
Two capitals with rams’ heads and angels flank the emblem of the Arte of the of Calimala (Guild of Woolen Merchants): the eagle grasping a bale of cloth. This was the guild that oversaw the temple to the John the Baptist. The sculptural components completed a bronze group depicting John, preaching to the multitudes, made by Giovan Francesco Rustici between 1506 and 1511, once placed above the north door of the Baptistery and now kept in the Museum.